Booked this place after thorough review of many cottages in and around Kullu. The reason, we shortlisted this was clean access, green surroundings, excellent views and quality of interiors.
I visited in April 2019 (last week) and weather was pleasant - no need for heaters of AC/Fans that were there in the cottage.
Why should one stay here and why is this a must stay if visiting Kullu or even Manali:
1. Host: Deepak is an unbelievable warm host and not really just a person who rents the place. He makes it an experience to stay at the place with everything so well organised. There are files for all types of instructions, folders detailing places to eat, distance, phone numbers, taxi info, bike rental and places to visit. During my solo stay, Deepak took extraordinary care to understand why I was visiting and what kind of vacation I wanted. He made suggestions for each day, helped me book Bike Rental through a trusted source, made suggestions for transport around, places to eat and spend the days. What was special was that he would call me to plan the day every evening while he was staying in Japan. Its like you have stayed in a Friend's house than a rental place.
2. The cottage: The place is beautifully and artistically done up - feels pretty new with latest amenities like RO, AC, Branded fittings, nice internet, Tata Sky with HD channels, pure wood furniture and to top it fully equipped kitchen. One does not find a thing missing here that needs to be asked for. They even arrange for a starter kit in Kitchen and any other requirements are easily met by the staff. The cottage has 2 beautiful bedrooms on first floor (you would actually want to just stay there enjoying views through large windows (practically - bay windows). There is a private balcony on first floor along with a nice living area on first floor with ample sitting for 8-10 persons and all these areas overlook Beas river flowing down and majestic hills covered with Greens, orchards or Teak trees. The attached bathrooms are fitted with big geysers for hot water and have a bath tub and shower.
Downstairs: You are welcomed by a nice living rom with ample sitting, dining room with full cutlery, big airy and sunshine lit kitchen with all equipments like Gas, RO, Toaster, Microwave oven and others.
The furniture selection, paintings, photographs, side peices, CD, DVD collection, games and toys and the artifacts around each is reflective of fine taste from owner while he has never stayed in this cottage.
Around the cottage is a private green space that can be used with plastic furniture available there to have breakfast, evening tea or just listening to birds and bird watching. I could see at least 6 different species of hill sparrows there.
The cottage is located on highway but one you are inside there is so much greenery with fruit laden trees, green gardens and flowers all around, its like entering an oasis.
3. Things around cottage: River beas is a 10 minutes walk from cottage and once one is there its just so private and full of nature, river gurgling, tress providing shadows and views of mountains in front. I could spend many hours reading book below a tree in front of Beas. One can easily take a dip in water and the area is really private. Just within 3-4 kilometres vicinity one can visit may treks, (Deepak can guide for them), nice places to eat by the river, river rafting is just 10 minutes down, paragliding.
4. Biggest prized attraction is APPLE ORCHARD TREK and CABIN owned by owner - Its a day trip, if one speaks with Deepak, he arranges for a private trek through his apple orchards that are located in a different village and the views from the top of cabin there are just amazing and much better than Naggar castle or places in Manali, one has a clear 270 degrees view of mountains, Kullu valley and orchards around.
5. Staff: Suman the caretaker, Sahil (Suman's son - in 10th class), Pinga (housekeeper for the cottage) make this experience another step towards luxury. They all strive to make sure that you get what you need and you have what you will need. Sahil is a young lad full of energy and is enthusiastic in showing around the place.
All in all, it is beyond imagination and expectation what the stay at Secret Cottage holds - its really a secret that one needs to unravel and onece unravelled it just grows on you. Thank You Deepak for managing such a wonderful place - it is a star attraction for a visit to Kullu/Manali.